Pavlova is a meringue-based dessert usually topped with whipped cream and fruit. With honey in place of sugar and coconut milk in place of whipped cream, this paleo dessert is simply outstanding. Top with your choice of seasonal fruit and enjoy!
recipe adapted from paleontastic.com
MERINGUE BASE 6 egg whites, room temperature
1/2 cup local, raw honey (or less!) 1 tsp lemon juice 2 tbsp arrowroot powder 1/2 tsp vanilla extract TOPPING 2 cans chilled full fat coconut milk 1 tbsp local, raw honey 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 1/2 tsp cinnamon Fresh Fruit (berries are great!)
1. Preheat oven to 300 F
2. Using double boiler method, bring 1 to 2 inches of water to a simmer. In a mixer bowl combine egg whites, honey, lemon juice and set over pot of simmering water; stirring until mixture is warm, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Remove bowl from heat and using a whisk attachment on high speed, beat mixture until it starts thickening. Add arrowroot flour and keep whipping until it reaches stiff, glossy consistency, about 10 minutes. The meringue mixture should be firm and glossy and keep its shape.
4. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. With a pencil draw a circle of parchment paper (using an upside down medium bowl might help to trace in circular shape.) Spread mixture onto the circles and leave a slight depression in the middle for topping.
5. Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. More time, up to 2 hours might be required on a humid or rainy day as meringue is extremely sensitive to moister content in the air.
To avoid saggy or chewy meringue, leave to cool in the turned off oven until completely cool.
6. Scoop off the solid cream at the top of the chilled coconut milk can. Add honey, cinnamon, and vanilla and whip on high speed until a thick whipped cream like consistency.
7. Spread the whipped coconut cream onto the cooled meringue crust.
8. Top with fresh fruits or berries of your choice and enjoy!